Easter bunnies, spring flowers and baseball… these all come to mind when I think about the month of April. This month there is a lot going on to celebrate Easter, but here are 10 other things you can do this month.
1. Check your bike equipment. Make sure helmets still fit and that the kids haven't outgrown their bikes. Check the tire pressure and make sure the chain and brakes are in working order. You can read more tips on getting your bikes ready and about bike safety here.
2. Have a catch. The major league baseball season begins this month, so why not toss the ball around with your kids in the backyard, or gather a group of friends or neighbors to play a game of wiffle ball.
3. Get educated about Autism. April is Autism Awareness Month, and you can click here to read about the National Autism Association, which was founded in 2003. Their mission is to respond to the most urgent needs of the autism community, providing real help and hope so that all affected can reach their full potential.
4. Take care of Mother Earth. April 22 is Earth Day. You can celebrate by picking up trash at a local park, unplugging the TV for the day, or planting a flower.
5. Speaking of planting a flower, why not plant a whole garden? If you have never gardened before, some easy plants for beginners are green beans, strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce.
6. Take your kids to work with you. April 27 is National Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day. Show them what you really do when you’re at work. I took my kids with me to work one year, and they were happy to return to school the next day. LOL!
7. Visit your local farmer’s market. You may just be planting seeds in your garden, but the local farmers already have some items ready for you, and if you’ve never been to a farmer’s market, you’re in for a treat. Homemade baked goods, soups, and locally-raised meat are in abundance there too, not just fruits and vegetables!
8. Visit a National Park. National Park Week is April 15-23, and it’s a great time to explore your local parks, especially because on April 15-16 and April 22-23, you will enjoy free admission at all national parks. Want to find one near you? Click here.
9. Air out the house. If your house has been closed up all winter, open up those windows and let some fresh air in, and while you have the windows open, why don’t you take the extra time to clean them, too. (Sorry, I couldn’t get all the way through the month of April without mentioning something about spring cleaning!)
Share the Love - Be sure you tell them Macaroni Kid sent you... and tell all your friends!
Macaroni Kid Amherst-Northampton is a free local calendar, weekly e-newsletter, and website focused on fun family events and information in the area. We gather all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused local businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides, and more.
Quick links to learn more about our community: